[Dixielandjazz] Freddie Green Solo

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Sep 20 14:36:57 PDT 2004

>has Freddie Green ever recorded a guitar solo?
Thanks;  Stan

Stan, can't help you on that one, but I would like to add a little story of
mine to the Freddy Green history.

As far as I know, I actually ran the very last recording session that Mr.
Green played on.  To explain:

The Count Basie Orchestra (sans Count Basie) was playing a Jazz Festival in
Madrid, and a Belgian female singer had contracted the band to record the
backing track for a song for her to sing over, taking advantage of the band
having a day off in Madrid.

I was contacted by the record people to find a studio for the recording,
which I did.  Naturally, I wasn't going to miss this gig!  I went along only
to find that the Belgian producer, while speaking a bit of English couldn't
fathom what the band guys were saying, which was good 'ol American black
musician speak!  Nor could he speak with the Spanish sound engineer.

I ended up being the default producer at the gig, as I was quite able to
converse with the Spanish guy, and almost able to speak to the guys in the
band (what with my American slang being back-dated by almost 40 yrs from
when I left the States!).

I felt extremely weird having to ask, at one point, that the trombone
section tune up a bit.  ME, asking these guys to tune up!!!   Anyway, the
band was absolutely fantastic, and Freddy sat there through the whole gig
looking fairly miserable, but playing wonderfully, as always.  I believe he
died about 6 months later.

Jim