[Dixielandjazz] Graeme Bell 90th Celebration Concerts

tom wood zenith at ans.com.au
Sun Sep 19 23:57:07 PDT 2004

Hi all,

At the Independent Theatre in Sydney last week we saw the father of
Australian Jazz, Graeme Bell, in concert.  There was even an F2F with Bill
Haesler and I during the interval.

Reviewer Bill Shand in an article headed "No nervous 90s for party boy Bell
in a spirited celebration" said

Graeme could have taken a jaunt down Memory Highway with the cruise control
on, yet the pianist used it as a long intended fresh chapter in his career,
a program almost entirely of Australian Compositions including Cinderella
Girl, Linger Awhile, Waterfront Whale etc.(CD available with all Australian
compositions was also sold during the interval)

Considering mainstream often bland, he wanted to freshen up his traditional
jazz music without losing its earthyness.  The Graeme Bell Reunion Band
achieved this admirably.  They also played his 1947 Czechoslovak Journey
recording of the band only to have the live band cut in after a chorus.  It
was a magical idea and a great evening for traditional jazz with its fresh
coat of paint.  This is an OKOM lesson for all of us we must move forward
with original "traditional jazz" numbers.

Cheers,
Tom (can I get the band to do this?) Wood
At 90 Graeme did!!