[Dixielandjazz] One person and art

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 22:11:08 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Dan Augustine asked:

>What do you think about the following statement: only one person can create
>art.

We've been through definitions of "Art" several times before and the
discussions have NEVER been anything close to difinitive.  As soon as
somebody ventured a definition of what "art" was somebody was there to
refute the concept.

But, Dan merely poses the question although he does mention individual
creativity.

My response to Dan's questions is that Art can be created by a group.  The
most artistic musical experience I can recall in recent time was when a band
I was in played "Just a Closer Walk" and, because of the particular blend of
musicians (Bob Ringwald, Jim Maihack, Chuck Bond, Paul Edgerton and others)
the song became the most 'righteous' and deeply satisfying thing I have
experienced in a long time.  My immediate response when the tune ended was
to say "Let's do it again!"

To me that rendition was a wonderful and creative work of art which could
only have happened because of the interaction of all those in the band.  It
was not because of "only one person."

I don't know how to clearly and succinctly define "art" nor do I believe it
can only be the result of a single individual.

But I do know that for those four or five minutes I participated in a
wonderful work of art.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com