[Dixielandjazz] not OKOM, (or Dixie) but Wild!: Boban Markovic Orkestar

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Sep 16 22:23:11 PDT 2004

Hi all,

There is a band from "The Balkans" called the Boban Markovic Orkestar
that is touring through Northern California right now - their main
performance will be at the Monterey Jazz Festival next week but they
will also be at a few other venues in the area. I had not heard of them
before, even though I do try to keep up with all sorts of "world brass"
but I am sure glad I bought two of their CDs! This group is based in
the more traditional Eastern European Brass ensemble style but mixes in
elements of both further eastern and more western styles of music and
it is quite WILD! The CD producers call it Gypsy Brass but it is more
complicated than that.

The instrumentation usually is: 4 flugelhorns, 4 tenor horns ( I think
these are what we call Euphoniums, Baritones and Alto Horns - not what
used to be called Tenor Horns in the USA and UK - more of a mixed
range) , 1 Helicon tuba and 3 drummers and many other instruments drop
in on the recordings. Tempos range from slow ballads to super speed
dance tunes in time signatures that still count as "odd" for most
western ears. Don Ellis tried to introduce this flavor of
jazz/folk/brass/ back in the 1960s and there have been a few bands in
the US that have also brought this style to us (Les Misérables from the
1980s and Zlatne Uste more recently, and a new mixed tradition group
Klezmer Brass AllStars are just a few - look for them!)

Anyway, there are whole different worlds of "sort of OKOM"  out there -
it is not an easy thing to learn and the audience is slow to grow, but
it is some wild and crazy, fun stuff to listen to - even if you don't
understand the lyrics or know how to clap along in 21 beats per
measure.

I think "everybody" will be talking about this group after their
Monterey performance - check out what happened a few years ago when
they were in New York City:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/creviews/c1002_02.htm

I know King Oliver or Jelly Roll probably never heard of any kind of
Balkan Brass Band but that  does not stop this from being interesting
music, IMHO...

Dave Richoux