[Dixielandjazz] Symbols, Sizzle

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Sep 16 06:42:44 PDT 2004

Bob:  Perhaps the most admired cymbal of all was the magnificent Chinese
cymbal owned by Nick Fatool. I knew drummers on the coast in my days there
that would have hocked the family farm to acquire it. It had a sound that
was pure, carried well, and in the hands of Fatool could do no wrong. One
might wonder where that cymbal is now -- for drummers, finding it might be
like  the search for the Holy Grail of brass works.
To have watched as the Armenian Hawk of the Desert played, his dark eyes
watching each player's body motion as well as listening intently to the
music the players made, was to see the ultimate in backing up musicians to
make them sound their best while easing their task.
A little aside about Nick:
His wife, Dotty, and my mother used to play cards once a week in the
afternoon with two other band wives - telling the men folk they were playing
bridge. In reality they were playing poker and planning to clean house with
the hubbies who had fluffed them off earlier when they had asked to play the
game.
Later, when they insisted and the men folk finally let them play, the ladies
trimmed their posteriors big time. Dad said they never knew what hit them.
Dotty especially rubbed it in on Nick that night.-- and no one was more
surprised -- but also laughing more than Nick.
Really miss those folks, all.
Don Ingle