[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds - Sound Clips

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 03:46:25 PDT 2004

Steve said
>Talking about Dodds' influence, At one time or another, I also spoke to Joe
Morello, Art Blakey, and Max Roach about influencers. All specifically
mentioned Baby Dodds and Roach owned quite a few old records that featured
him. All use that accenting style that Dodds pioneered. Interesting when
coupled with your insights on Krupa. There seems little doubt that Baby
Dodds was the grandfather of modern drumming as well as the father of
>Classic jazz drumming.

>Do you know if Kenny Clarke was influenced by Dodds? Wouldn't that be a
>hoot?

There was a great respect for Dodds amongst all the drummers. You are
correct in hearing the influence in Max Roach & Art Blakey, and I would say
Clarke also. Blakey was into the African drumming. Have you heard the Blue
Note album made with the Afriican drummers? It's great. Dodds was closest to
Africa of all the pioneers. Zutty and the others are all precise smack on
the beat players, but Dodds has a looser feel. The accents on the toms, rims
cymbal, blocks or cowbell do not come exactly where you expect them. Krupa
of course got closer to Zutty than he ever did to Baby.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com