[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds - Sound Clips

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 14 20:04:09 PDT 2004

on 9/14/04 6:35 PM, john petters at johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk wrote:

>> Note also that the Text on this web page is under copyright by someone we
>> all know, List mate John Petters who was probably too modest to bring us
>> here.
>
> Steve you are too Kind. One point though, its Albert Nicholas on the
> Careless Love cut with Art Hodes, but Lewis on the Bunk clip of course. Glad
> you enjoyed Baby. I asked Wild Bill what he thought about Dodds. He said he
> was fine for an old style drummer. His personal favourite was Cliff Leeman.

John & List mates:

Oops, a haste makes waste typo.. Even a hack like me knows the difference
between Lewis and Nicholas. Especially since I saw them both live and spoke
with them.

Re WBD and Leeman, maybe he was just being loyal to a friend. When you
listen to that sound clip, there is one hell of a lot of energy coming out
of Dodds that seems to be moving WBD.

Talking about Dodds' influence, At one time or another, I also spoke to Joe
Morello, Art Blakey, and Max Roach about influencers. All specifically
mentioned Baby Dodds and Roach owned quite a few old records that featured
him. All use that accenting style that Dodds pioneered. Interesting when
coupled with your insights on Krupa. There seems little doubt that Baby
Dodds was the grandfather of modern drumming as well as the father of
Classic jazz drumming.

Do you know if Kenny Clarke was influenced by Dodds? Wouldn't that be a
hoot?

 Cheers,
Steve Barbone