[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 00:34:55 PDT 2004

Brian said
>I'll buy that!  Quite true - I'm also sure they did not sound anything like
their recordings, when playing dances, concerts etc.
The numbers would be longer than three minutes too, without the time
constraints of the old "78" to contend with.  However I am sure they would
>still sound as if they were playing for each other - like a team!

I agree, Brian. Baby is on record as saying that he played for the benefit
of the band. Now certain bass players with big amps and others who screw the
level up perhaps could learn from that.
cheers
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com
I'll buy that!  Quite true - I'm also sure they did not sound anything like
their recordings, when playing dances, concerts etc.
The numbers would be longer than three minutes too, without the time
constraints of the old "78" to contend with.  However I am sure they would
still sound as if they were playing for each other - like a team!
Cheers,
Brian Towers
Toronto