[Dixielandjazz] something new

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Sep 14 10:22:20 PDT 2004

When you think you've heard/seen about everything possible having to do with
a gig, something happens to prove you're wrong.

We've just finished 8 nights at a local club.  While sitting on a bench
outside during a break, a lady & her husband came up and very sternly said
"we heard you last night.  Do you play the same songs each nite or do you
change your list?"  She was so serious it was almost frightening!

I told her we were on our 5th nite and hadn't yet repeated a song.....
That seemed to please the couple and they came in.  They had me shaking in
my boots for fear I might accidentally repeat a song from the night before!
:>

There is a "jazz moral" to this situation, however.  If it is the same song
repeated, but our improvisation, both during ensembles & choruses, is based
on the interaction of each member in the band, then does it matter if you
hear the same song?  I kind of like to hear how a song can differ.  We have
two renditions of Georgia On My Mind recorded on two consecutive
recordings....practically like a different song.  I like that!
That's Jazz.

Jim