[Dixielandjazz] John Cage, was Best 100 Songs...

Bill Biffle bbiffle at brgcc.com
Mon Sep 13 20:30:30 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: TCASHWIGG at aol.com [mailto:TCASHWIGG at aol.com]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 9:15 PM
To: bbiffle at brgcc.com; dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] The 100 most important American Songs of
the20thCentury

In a message dated 9/13/04 7:05:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bbiffle at brgcc.com writes:

Lots of good thought has been provoked by iconoclasts like Cage through the
years.

That is quite possible Bill, but then one is assuming that many folks
actually know what an iconoclast is, Heck in America alone there is a great
vast audience that can't even spell it much less understand what it is or
why it needs to exist at all.

BB:  I, for one, don't bother with those who don't know the meaning - or the
spelling - of this rather common word.

Sometimes fellows like John Cage actually think deeper than the vast
majority of mankind can dig. :)   Which leads some of them to wonder WHY ?
What does it do for me or mankind at large ?   Sort of like funding some
commission to study why children fall off of tricycles for a million dollars
of taxpayers money, and they come back a year later and say because they are
clumsy.   Brilliant beyond words.   Some folks are indeed educated beyond
their intelligence me thinks, and we keep funding them to get even more
intelligent.

BB:  You point would be salient if Mr. Cage were - or had been - the
recipient of the largess of the public - a condition yet to be proven, at
least in this forum.  Otherwise, you've made the standard rant of those who
are on what is usually called "a fixed income" against the tendency of
society to explore its boundaries buoyed by funds from the public treasury.

I am looking for a Grant to allow me to contemplate "Why is a Shoe called a
Shoe?"

Kinda like the old saying "There oughta be a LAW !  there probably is, just
nobody can find it anymore because there  are so many laws to look through
to find it, so it's easier to just make a new one and get paid for it.

Off the record Bill, did you know there is law on the books in Walnut Creek,
Ca.  that prohibits anyone from kissing anyone else in the armpit in public?
Whew ! I guess at one point in time that was a big enough problem that they
needed to pass a law against it. :))

BB:  It's been a few years since I've kissed an armpit in Walnut Creek,
although the region as a whole has been referred to in that way in my
presence of late.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

BB:  Here's looking at you, Kid.

Bill Biffle

Musical content:  "Teach Me Tonight"  :+)

Musical Content:  "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better"