[Dixielandjazz] Loud Bass

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sun Sep 12 18:54:50 PDT 2004

>Do you think musicians loose their hearing and just don't realize how loud
>they are playing?

This is sometimes the case, especially among the rockers who play maximum
decibels all the time.
  When I was playing shows, we did Bobby Darin for a week.  He brought his
own drummer who sat right next to me.  He had heavy sticks and instructions
from Darin to play LOUD!!!  And he did just that, apologizing all the time.
Nice kid, and a good drummer when he was using his own judgment.  I used to
stuff wads of Kleenex in my ears.  If I had to play that show for very long,
I know I would have suffered some permanent ear damage.
     There are some who work in industrial environments where noise of a
selected frequency is common.  They will lose some of their hearing of
sounds at or near that frequency.
     Pat