[Dixielandjazz] Ride cymbals - bow on bass

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sat Sep 11 12:23:13 PDT 2004

From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke at cox.net>

...Remember that the acoustic bass was originally designed to be
bowed....and when bowing, the bottom strings have more definition and also
enough strength to be heard adequately...

Hi Pat (and everyone),

Thanks for your post. The quote I've excerpted above reminded me of
something at the Sweet & Hot last weekend:

During one all-star set that included Allan Vaché, Russ Phillips, and Roger
Neumann, I was enjoying their lovely harmonies on "Mood Indigo," when I
became aware of something in the rhythm section that greatly enhanced the
sound of the front line. For his part on this particular tune, bass player
Richard Simon had chosen to use a bow to smoothe and soothe it out. It made
it so rich!

Next day, I saw Dave Stone using a bow to tune, and I asked if he ever used
a bow on "Mood Indigo." He said, "No, but that's a good idea!!!"

Well, I thought it was, anyway.

Love and hugs,
Nancy