[Dixielandjazz] Re: Listening to music

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 19:02:05 PDT 2004

on 9/10/04 6:38 PM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Hey, hey Steve, slow down.
> somehow you have missed the fun in the quote

Dear Bill & List mates:

Not so. I responded quite tongue in cheek. I love to debate, stir the pot,
see if others will get involved etc. I did not miss the point

I unashamedly admit I "used" the quote to make a point. But it seems I
failed, at least among some of list mates.

Paul and I understand each other and actually have the same viewpoint, but
he loves to debate also. Neither of us listens incessantly to the old stuff.
Please note the usage of "incessantly.

I've answered him off list in order to cease boring the list with my
preaching that it is time to quit wasting time listening EXCESSIVELY (note
the modifier) to the old stuff. Better to seek out the new additions to
OKOM. Get a Tito Martino CD, or listen to Bob Draga, or Evan Christopher, or
Jon Kellso or pick a bunch more of the newer guys who are at the top of the
heap. Expand your minds, list mates.

Quit saying you don't like Marsalis if you've never heard his small group
New Orleans Jazz. Seek out his music and then make your judgement. But don't
say he can't play OKOM when you've only heard his big band.

Get knowledgeable about "The Music", not some tiny insignificant piece of
it. My goodness, the new audience is out there waiting for us to satisfy
their musical needs. The need is for "good, tuneful, danceable music'. Some
of us are doing it now, in various parts of the world.

So quit listening to dead guys It is time to play the music, with your own
voices. Add to it. Play for the kids. Put your axe where your mind is.

Perhaps a futile ranting, but then, I'm an optimist which is surprising
given my age. You see, I think OKOM left the audience while most others seem
to think the audience left OKOM. Yep, I may be wrong again, but then, I lead
a "working" band.

Be off list till Monday. Sixteen gig hours, Sat & Sun starting 12 hours from
right now. Have a great weekend everybody.

Cheers,
Steve

Musical content: "What's New?"