[Dixielandjazz] Re: Listening to music

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 10 15:38:24 PDT 2004

Hey, hey Steve, slow down.
Paul is right, somehow you have missed the fun in the quote by cltist Bill
Wood (not a mate of mine as you seem to have assumed, but a little known but
well respected US OKOM clt player).
It WAS meant as a self-depreciating joke.
Another of Mr Wood's quotes was "Alcoholism is not a disease. Diabetes never
mad me feel this good."*
And on hearing someone sneeze he once remarked "I wish I could play that
loud."
Bill Wood (born in San Francisco in March 1920) was apparently a modest man
who was 'hooked' when he first heard Benny Goodman at the Palomar in 1935.
He joined Ben Pollack in the early 40s, was with Muggsy Spanier's big band
in 1942 (but no records), served with the 304th Army Air Force Band, then
from 1946 played with Bud Freeman, replaced Joe Dixon at Condons (and is on
two of the famous Town Hall concert transcriptions), worked regularly (and
recorded) with Wingy Manone for about 6 years and later, worked with Red
Norvo, then Red Nichols (replacing Matty Matlock from 1953) for about 12
years.
Yeah, that Bill Wood.
Very kind regards,
Yer mate from Oz,
Bill.
* I hope this does not set my friend Fred Spencer off.
Just kidding Fred.   8>)