[Dixielandjazz] Traditional Jazz History

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Sep 10 09:49:38 PDT 2004

Listmates:

The past two Wednesdays I played with a local cornet man, Steve Lilly (Leader St. Louis Stompers) who is something of a wonder.  Perfect pitch, knows all the changes, plays all the old tunes and a bunch I've never heard in any key with great technique.

He introduced the tunes in a most informative and interesting manner giving the background of each tune.  He knew original titles in some cases and the shows that they came from.

Is there a collection or book that I might find this information.  I have a book (out of print) that gives a lot of info about who recorded, sang and made famous tunes from about 1935-40 on.

Is there anything like that for older Jazz or do I just need to find a music library somewhere?

I will be asking him but I thought you might know.