[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ride cymbals (and Krupa)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 10 02:31:34 PDT 2004

Dear John,
As part of this thread Stan Brager mentioned that Red Nichols 78 of "China
Boy" has been transferred to CD by Decca and is the 6th cut of their CD "B.G
& Big Tea in NYC" (catalog GRD-609).
I had only checked the Ace of Hearts AH 63 and Gaps 180 LPs plus Vernon
VMCD-100101 when I wrote my reply last night.
I had forgotten about the Decca CD version, so dug it out to see if I could
hear the ride cymbal behind Nichols.
A much clearer transfer.
Yep! A definite ring to the ride cymbal there. My apologies for even
doubting you.
As for the 21 May and 15 Sept 1930 Hoagy Carmichael sessions for Victor, I
had not noticed that the JSP CD lists Chauncey Morehouse on the second date,
"Georgia/One Night In Havana/Bessie Couldn't Help It (2 takes)".
I have always 'heard' Gene Krupa, which is supported by Rust's Jazz Records.
On checking just now I find that Chauncey is also listed by Phillip
Evans/Richard Sudhalter ('Bix. Man & Legend') and later by Phillip and Linda
Evans ('Bix. The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story'). As does the Sunbeam 20 LP set
of the complete Bix and the Bixography web site Bix discography.
Looks like we are on our own on this one!
I wonder who decided it was Chauncey Morehouse, why and when?
Very kind regards,
Bill.