[Dixielandjazz] Funny Gigs

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 09:40:53 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/8/04 10:36:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Memories like this are sad as well. What happened to the music, the night
> clubs, the dancing, and the big spenders?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

1.   The War on Organized  Crime

2.    Most of those Big Spenders are either dead or still in jail, or went
back to Sicily.

3.     They took the money with them and the clubs closed so we would not
have booze.   Sex and drugs in our schools,    Well that worked well right?

4.     The Government helped us poor starving musicians, right out of jobs.

We could of course go on an on, like it or not the Mob made things happen,
sometimes pretty and sometimes ugly but at least things were happening, the
revenuers wanted a bigger piece of the liquid pie which eventually they got and
pretty much control of its flow.

5.      The big spenders are in the Government now, they have a new name
"Politicians"
unfortunately they have deep pockets filled with our money, but they all seem
to have very short arms.

In those good old days back in the 60s when I worked clubs, I got stiffed a
few times by some Mafia wannabes, but I never got stiffed or cheated by the
Real Guys, they always paid well and liked class especially when they bought it,
made them feel good and gave them a lot of self esteem.

Cheers,

Tom (Guido's friend) Wiggins