[Dixielandjazz] Ride Cymbals

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 07:28:05 PDT 2004

Great discussion on ride cymbal usage. Bottom line seems to be that ride
cymbals, like any other instrument, or technique are fine. And that the
early masters like Baby Dodds, Gene Krupa, and Tony Sparbaro all used them
as time went by.

No absolutes! Me, I'll listen to Louis Armstrong with or without Danny
Barcelona because I am listening to the over all band and Louis first, not
the ride cymbal.

Cut the musician a break. We can like or dislike whatever we want, but we
might avoid singing this pop song while doing it:

"Your So Vain, You Probably Think This Song Is About You"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone