[Dixielandjazz] Just cruisin'

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Wed Sep 8 22:51:14 PDT 2004

In 1969, as a young fellow, I took my first trip outside Australia and arrived in San Francisco  via the Orient & Hawaii.  The ship was greeted at the dock by a dixieland band from the Red Garter, resplendant in straw boaters & red vests on the back of a vintage truck.  I had a letter of introduction from an Australian friend to Turk Murphy, so I found my way to Earthquake McGoon's to be greeted by Turk, who sat me in front of the band while they played a whole set of Jellyroll Morton tunes dedicated to the visitor from 'Downunder'.  He thought that that KOM was all we listened to in that far flung outpost of civilisation.  It was all rather wonderful and he gave me 2 LPs  which everyone in the band, including the vocalist, Pat Yankee signed.  I treasure those posessions and still use them on my radio program from time to time.  I play a lot of vinyl, as I believe they have a fresher and livlier sound ( rice bubble noises & all).  Well, 35 years later, I'm going to San Francisco again, this time to catch a Jazz Dagen cruise around Sth. America to Rio.  I've never met any DJMListmates outside Australia, so I'm really looking forward to possibly bumping into some of you in my travels.  We arrive in San Francisco on 4th Oct. & the cruise leaves on the 6th.  Is there any OKOM ?  We fly from Rio on 14th Nov. to attend a jazz festival at Clearwater Beach, Florida, about which I know nothing, then off to San Diego for the Thanksgiving Jazz Festiv. on 22nd. Nov . before returning to Oz on Dec. 1st.  Can anyone please tell me anything about either of these two festivals and how or if it's possible to meet any listmates?
Best wishes and regards,
Sam Meerkin