[Dixielandjazz] Funny Gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 22:32:46 PDT 2004

List mates

Bill Haesler wrote about  a funny gig in Greece and points. No doubt many of
us have played gigs where we broke up laughing. Here's one of mine from
about 50 years ago. I was reminded of it when drummer Dick Sherman who I had
not seen or talked to in 40 years wrote me an e-mail out of the blue. The
"PS" was. "Do you remember the Kit Kat Inn Gig? I broke into gales of
laughter and wife Martha came into my office from the kitchen and said
"What's so funny?"

The Kit Kat was a supper club in Bayside NY, Queens County, NYC. It was run
by the Mafia. They loved jazz and I was working there Fri & Sat nights with
the Beale Street Stompers. Memorable gig because we had Gene Schroeder
(great stride piano, often at Condon's), Lee Gifford on trombone, (monster
high note guy often at Nick's) Chuck Trager (often at Nick's, gigged with
Bunk and Bechet in 1947 with Bob Wilber) Kenny Butterfield on trumpet
(Billy's cousin, son of Charlie NY Studio TB) and Sherman on Drums (studied
with Tony Spargo or Sparbaro, ODJB 1917-25)

Friendly joint because all the mob guys were there, impeccably dressed in
expensive suits with trophy dates and bulges in their jackets. They loved
the music, and after a few months, we were like family, everybody there was
having a good time. We all knew each other.

The Bandstand was raised slightly and there was dancing right in front of
us. One night a statuesque blonde, with ample bosom and cleavage was dancing
with a goodfella who was a head shorter. He had a dreamy look on his face
and his head rested sideways on her cleavage as they danced a slow 2 step to
"Black & Blue".

We, except for Schroeder who was faced the other way, couldn't help but
stare at them as we played. His right arm was straight out, holding hers as
he whirled her around in front of me while I was soloing. I managed to get
the axe out of the way, but not my body as her hand gently brushed me a
couple of inches below the belt.

I immediately gave her a big "stage" wink and she broke up. Which broke me
up, which broke everybody in the band up, except Schroeder who was now the
only one playing. He said loudly what the F*** happened? continuing to play
alone (ever the pro) which broke up the whole joint.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. Do I remember the Kit Kat? Oh yeah. 802 scale was $16 a night then and
we played two nights for $32 a sideman. The patrons were high rollers.

Sam (The Man) Taylor used to play there often with Freddie Washington and
Friends. He would walk the bar with tenor honking while patrons stuffed
dollars in his shoes and trouser cuffs. One night, I went there to hear him,
but he was sick so the band played without him. That short goodfella asked
me if I had my axe and hearing a yes, had me sit in with the band.

It was a treat to sit in with a black blues/straight ahead/OKOM group and
Shorty requested Perdido. Sure, no problem. He then said "Barbone, will you
walk the bar like Sam". Well, having seen Sam make a lot of money doing it,
I figured what the hell, why not?

I made two circuits of the bar with my clarinet in the high register, Sorty
exhorting the patrons to tip me. I made $36 in tips and then Shorty thanked
me and pressed a $100 bill into my hand and said "Grazie, Stefano".

First time in my life I ever saw $100 bill, much less had one. Better still,
it was a lesson in how to make money playing music that I never forgot. $136
for 5 minutes of walking the bar in the 1950s when $136 was one hell of a
lot of money.

Memories like this are sad as well. What happened to the music, the night
clubs, the dancing, and the big spenders?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone