[Dixielandjazz] Ride cymbals

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 01:42:19 PDT 2004

Tony said
>The clip of the recording of Krupa at
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/pge_krup.htm is quite different to the
Red Nicholls and His Five Pennies 78 I have where Krupa switched from
>2/4 to 4/4 in one chorus which brings the whole thing to the boil.
I'd like to hear that Tony. I'm not sure if it is the same session but a
different take or from a different session altogether.

> Ride cymbal is great in the right place e.g a big band, modern jazz.

That excludes such OKOM recordings as Baby Dodds with  Mutt Carey and the
Rudi Blesch This Jazz shows, Geo Wettling with Davison & Brunies, Big Sid
with the Louis All-stars....... I think it certainly has a place, but used
sparingly.

> I would rather play
accoustically and, the banjo sounds much better when it is not thrashed.
To me, at least.

All bands are better off playing acoustically - unless they are using
specifically electric instruments - ie electric guitar which Bechet used in
1938 and later. The Kansas City 5 & 7 with electric and acoustic guitars
worked well. Big problem to day is a never decreasing cycle of sound. Remove
the pa from the equation and a good band will balance itself. My biggest
beef is still with amped bass, because a loud bottom end forces everyone up
in volume.
John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com