[Dixielandjazz] Re: Mutes

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 7 21:25:42 PDT 2004

     That's it!  Y'all have persuaded me.
     The next gig i play i'm definitely bringing my tuba mute!
(Admittedly it was, in a former life, a recidivist wastebasket with
regrettable McCarthyesque tendencies, but after enough appropriate
tours in the Neo-Reformation Re-Education system under Governor
Schwarzenegger it has emerged fully congruent with the sound ideal of
the In-Sink-er-ator paradigm.  And not a minute too soon, either, as
i was starting to lean toward the subtle sonorances of WeedWhacker on
steroids.)
     You can't really appreciate authentic 'Traditional Jazz'
(whatever the hell that is) until you've heard "Someday Sweetheart"
with the main melody played on a muted tuba.  (Detractors--soon may
they be worm's-meat--may contend that the mute was not nearly
absolute enough and allowed some sound, tragically, to escape.  Yeah,
tough noogies.  Deal with it.)

     Dan