[Dixielandjazz] Re: What is "traditional Jazz"

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Sep 7 14:05:01 PDT 2004

Steve,
The traditional bands I have been playing in for the past 40 years or so
have all dug deep into Duke Ellington's 1920's repertoire.    Where would
the traditional bands be without those Ellington gems from the 1920's  like
"Stevedore Stomp" ; Creole Love Call" "Mood Indigo" "Ring Dem Bells"
"Shoute 'Em Aunt Tilly" etc etc??

For many of us, the Ellington groups of the 1920's and early 1930's played
jazz in the traditional manner.  Many of us used the approach as a model,
for example learning how to use mutes like Miley and Nanton how to use rich
harmonic effects; dynamics etc
In my book the word "traditional" signifies a certain approach to playing
jazz and the early Ellington bands certainly reflected that approach.-
Generally there was a banjo, plus a string bass both slapped and bowed,
though sometimes a brass bass. Drums would be relatively unobtrusive, with
cymbals being used for accents, rather than to keep the beat; piano would
splash chords; lead generally played by the trumpet/cornet(s); fine
harmonies by the reeds; always a real "dancing" beat there and always a
recognisable melody line and always dynamics of light and shade.
There!   A far from comprehensive list of some of the attibutes which I
personally call traditional jazz.     Steve, as  you may gather from my
list, the 1920's Ellington band was a traditional band for me.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Toronto
A brief snip from Steve's posting

> ...................No, don't want to re think it. My meaning is clear. In
no way could one
> describe Duke Ellington's Band as a "Traditional Jazz Band", or a New
> Orleans Jazz Band, or even a Jazz Band, or a Classical Music Orchestra.
etc.
> He would have probably described it as an American Music
Orchestra..............