[Dixielandjazz] Cloddish bass players

Butch Thompson butcht at sihope.com
Mon Sep 6 17:16:40 PDT 2004

On 9/4/04 1:48 PM, "dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com"
<dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com> wrote:

> (My favourite is the bass player who yells loud enough for the paying
> customers to hear, what an idiot the piano player is).

My personal favorite was a guy who turned up his bass amp to a deafening
roar. Then, when he didn't know the changes on "Edelweiss," he left the
volume up there and screamed at me to give him the changes.  I  couldn't
raise my voice loud enough to be heard.  It didn't occur to him to turn his
level down.  Instead, he kept screaming back at me, "What?  What?"  Amazing.
And this in a club where some of the people were actually listening.  Well,
listening to him, anyway.

Butch Thompson