[Dixielandjazz] Message from Juanita Greenwood to DJML

mophandl mophandl at landing.com
Sat Sep 4 23:48:51 PDT 2004

Summit Jazz 2004 (September 24-25-26) in Denver has a new venue this year
after 15 years at our previous location. That venue (Marriott Hotel Denver
Southeast) has changed names as of 9-3-04 and is now the Four Points by
Sheraton Denver Southeast. Telephone number remains the same along with
special room rates for Summit Jazz.

This may be the final year for Summit Jazz as attendance has been lagging
since 9-11-01.

For those who have missed seeing this elsewhere, the bands are The Jim
Cullum JB, the New Black Eagle JB, the Climax JB, Alan Frederickson Jazz
Ensemble plus the allstar group (Bucky Pizzarelli, Howard Alden, Ken
Peplowski and Jerry Bruno).

Visit our website (summitjazz.org) for other details.

Juanita Greenwood
Summit Jazz Foundation

Just read Phil Wood's comments about Bud Shank being fired from the Jazz
Port Townsend workshop duties and thought I should add a couple of notes to
that.

We've been residents of Port Townsend for not quite two years and certainly
don't have the longevity that Bud has had. However, Centrum which is the
non-profit organization that presents a multitude of varied programs during
the year, has announced that John Clayton will be the replacement for Bud. I
can't imagine that the workshop and jazz festival will suffer by this change
and it may even give it a different slant and new interest. Only time will
tell whether it was a correct and beneficial decision.

It seems, from what I've read and heard, that the manner in which Bud Shank
was told he was being "retired" could have been accomplished in a more
diplomatic way but that's only my opinion based on what I've read and heard.

Juanita Greenwood

Posted by

Don Mopsick

Riverwalk Webmaster and Bass Driver