[Dixielandjazz] A REAL JAZZ MUSICIAN

barbonestreet at earthlink.net barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 20:53:43 PDT 2004

Listmates:

Somebody once asked me what a "Real" Jazz Musician was. The answer is pretty simple and typified by someone most of us on the DJML, for more than 6 months, knew as a listmate.

Jim Beebe was a real jazz musician.

The recent letter by Phil Woods talked in part about real jazz musicians. Phil is, of course a real jazz musician. As is Bud Shank whose firing Phil criticized.

And Jim Beebe was a real jazz musician. A guy who made his living playing jazz. That is/was never an easy path to follow. As Woods said, the guys who play jazz all their lives are WARRIORs. Especially those who still do it in their 70s. Jim Beebe was a warrior. A guy who fought passionately for what he believed. Not backing off an inch unless he thought he made a mistake, and then very much man enough to admit it.

But he made no mistakes about jazz. I never met him personally, but have heard him on numerous records. His music speaks volumes. We first crossed paths on the DJML and immediately got into some disagreement. It was hot for a while and some listmates just loved the discord. But others like Tommy Loy, another real jazz musician, started an off list repartee with Jim and me and lo and behold, the three of us became cyber buddies.

He was also a well read, well informed, cultured guy who understood that no one masters jazz, we only experience it. Same as life itself. And he freely offered his advice, based upon his experience, to a young jazz musician friend of mine who was about to get involved with a quasi religious cult. When I wrote Jim about what was going on, he immediately said "Let me help, I've been there."

Yes, Jim Beebe was a real jazz musician. He was also a real man. He knew his time on earth was almost up many, many months ago and he took care of his remaining business with grace and courage.

Rest in Peace Jim, you are loved and remembered by lots of us who were honored to know you, even slightly, and better for that experience.

Jim Beebe was a real jazz musician.

Steve Barbon