[Dixielandjazz] To chart or not to chart

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 16:40:34 PDT 2004

I've never quite understood the argument for and/or against charts.

In metro Denver, we've been blessed by the appearance of two bands that
don't travel all that much.  They are, in my mind, two of the best groups
currently playing the music we love: the Jim Cullum Jazz Band and James
Dapogny's Chicago Jazz Band.  The Cullum band has been playing Summit Jazz
for well over a decade, and the Dapogny band has worked at all three of the
Evergreen Jazz Festivals.

Cullum and Dapogny are both tremendously well-versed in the history of this
music and know what makes it interesting, significant, and worth listening
to... and they communicate that very well to their audiences.  The Cullum
band plays together virtually every night, and has for thirty years or more.
  Dapogny's band members live all over the country, and don't get to play
together very often.  So the JCJB doesn't use (or need) charts, whereas the
JDCJB does.

These bands certainly don't play identical material, but they're both
terrific at playing pre-swing jazz.  In my mind, both approaches work.

Don't forget:  Summit Jazz is just three weeks away.  It's a beautiful time
of year in Colorado.

www.summitjazz.org

Ed Danielson