[Dixielandjazz] FW: premier

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Wed Sep 1 01:19:13 PDT 2004

The Canal Street Jazz Band is keeping up its name by playing high profile
gigs.....this time at the premier of the latest Tom Cruise film in Madrid.

We were out again on Main Street (called La Gran Via in Madrid!) yesterday
evening, just two doors down from where we had our Royal Wedding gig a few
months ago, playing for 3 hrs to a huge crowd hanging over the barriers.
Half of the street was blocked off, but I still saw tour busses full of
shutter snapping Japanese managing to go by!   :>

Tom showed up at 8 pm, and started at one end of the barrier signing
autographs, shaking hands, talking with the crowd.  It took him 2.5 hrs to
cover the complete crowd.

There was a bank of photographers across from the band's stage...about 150
of 'em, and a good 10 channels of tv.  We got a nice wave and that famous
smile from Tom when we broke into The Saints for him.  (I gathered he would
at least know THAT ONE!)

For those of you who enjoy gossip, the noon news said that he was out to
lunch with Penelope Cruz and her family, although she didn't show up at the
premier.  Only her sister came.

Jim (lower your head when you speak, please) Kash