[Dixielandjazz] Lu Watters 'Tea Dance' Concert

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 28 13:56:03 PDT 2004

     Whoops!  Leon corrects me that he played
cornet, not trumpet, in the concerts.  Sorry,
Leon!

     Dan
Folks--
<self-inflicted snip>
     On Friday night, i drove down Route 101 to
Menlo Park to the Café Barrone, where Clint
Baker's Café Borrone All-Stars were playing. That
night, besides Clint (trombone), the usual
players Leon Oakley (trumpet), Robert Young
(reeds), and Bill Reinhart (bass) were joined by
special guests Tom Bartlett (trombone), John Gill
(drums), and Jim Cullum (cornet).  They played up
a storm, and we remarked that Saturday's concert
would be hard-pressed to beat it.  Those gathered
around the table three feet from the band
included regulars Dottie Lawless and Rae Ann
Berry, plus interlopers Bob Romans, Tom Wiggins,
and me.  Leon was thoughtful enough to bring
along some historical items relating to the Big
Bear Tavern and its location for me to read.
     On Saturday, an overcast, drizzly day, a
large crowd convened in the atrium of the
Townsend Center in San Francisco.  The band was
composed of Bill Carter (clarinet), Jim Cullum
(cornet), Leon Oakley (trumpet), Tom Bartlett
(trombone), John Gill (banjo), Clint Baker
(drums), Marty Eggers (piano), and Ray Cadd
(tuba).