[Dixielandjazz] How a Jazz Society Should work

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Oct 27 19:43:34 PDT 2004

Hi Guys:  Here is what happens every week with a small Blues Society run by a
band leader who is dedicated to do a thankless job that benefits many others.

If Our OKOM Jazz Societies would do the same in their respective areas
instead of just being self serving entities there is no doubt that OKOM would thrive
and spread to new audiences weekly.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Dear Blues Lovers, the blues just keeps rollin' along the Valley and I don't
see nothing but a blue light at the end of the tunnel.  It has been a
whirlwind summer and I tell you, I never thought I could go to, play at, and
experience so much great music and great people in such a short time.  The tough part
is deciding what to see and what you have to miss, as you can't do it all.  Can
you say Clone!
Well, anyway here are a few things you might find interesting.

I'm sure you all know by now who The Mofo Party Band Is, as they have played
in about every city in the Valley.  Well, this has not gone unnoticed by
California Congress woman Sarah Reyes. She nominated them for an Arts Award for
their 15 years+ of dedication to the Arts. They were awarded a California State
Legislative Resolution.  Congratulations from all the Blues Lovers out there
boys and keep up the Great Groovin'.  You can congratulate them in person at The
Avalon Billiard Club this Sat. nite Oct 30.
Well Blues Lovers another month has almost gone by and our CVBS Last Friday
Blues Nite at Club Fred Is here this Friday Oct 29. As I've been telling you
all month, our featured Artist this month is Jackie Turner.  Jackie has been
playing about the Valley for many years.  Jackie has backed up some really great
blues men  along the way, like Lowell Folsom, Guitar Shorty, Charlie
Musselwhite, Smokey Wilson, Larry "Texas Flood" Davis, Harmonica Slim, and many
more.  So come out and check out his awesome guitar work.  Opening for Jackie is a
band out of the south valley The Mercury Blues Band.  This 5 piece band will get
things hoppin' as they lay down there brand of the blues.
Show starts at 9pm and is only $8 at the door.  Remember to bring some
friends and turn them onto what the blues is all about.
Club Fred is located in Fresno on Van Ness Ave between Olive and McKinley Ave
in the historic Tower District.
Tommy Castro Tickets for Sunday Nov 7 / 8pm are on Sale at Club Fred / and at
The Movies Video store (across from Club Fred)
Tickets are $17 adv. / $20 day of show.  Don't get caught this time without a
ticket!
**************
 THE BOOTJACK BOYS WILL BE PLAYING AT THE FULL CIRCLE BREWERY ON OCT 30TH.
COME BY AND LISTEN TO THIS INTERESTING LINE UP OF ACOUSTIC GUITARS BLUES HARP
SHO-BRO SLIDE AND STAND UP BASS.
I have some an interesting website for you all to check out.  It was put
together by photographer Richard Trudeau from the two day Central Valley Blues
Festival in Merced earlier this month.
http://www.pbase.com/richard/central_valley_blues_festival_2004
 If you like what you see contact Richard and I'm sure he will tell you how
you can get some copies.

***************

Heres a note from our good buddy John Black in the Modesto Area:

As the first blues/buffet series enters into our third week I would like to
thank all of those who joined in the celebration of fun. The food and drink
flowed and couples took to the dance floor and those blues artists were off the
hook. For those who miss the guitar show or the reunion tour don't let this
weeks show pass you bye.

TO continue this effort and bring the Blues heritage to the Modesto scene we
need your support.

WE have something going down and it will take your continued participation to
make this deal work

FRI. Oct 29th: Blues Lovers dance party

with Hambone and friends featuring players & special guests.

This celebration of music, food and fun and is a collaborative effort from
the fine folks at The Seasons, Crown Recording Studios, Sierra Water and J. B.
presents.  Located at 945

Mc Henry Ave Modesto, The Seasons multi cultural event center is widely
recognized as the premiere dance hall and banquet facility in our area, and J. B.
has set the standard in our area for high quality productions.

7-11pm $10.00 Admission $20.00 with full buffet included

Please no one under 21 years of age

Call 209-523-4000 or www.jbpresents.com

Folks as always here is the rest of the blues calendar for the coming weeks.
But please read all the way down and check out the weekly calendar of all the
blues in your area that is going on week after week.  We usually mention all
the new shows that are going on but we don't want you to forget these blues
shows that continue on week after week.

October 27th
Wednesday
6:30pm - 10:00pm
Glen Delpit
www.glendelpit.com
Brewbakers
559-627-2739
Visalia

October 29th
Friday
W.C. Clark
www.wcclark.com
The Little Fox
650-FOX-4119
Redwood City
www.foxdream.com

October 29th
Friday
9:00pm - 1:00am
Studebaker Blues Band
www.studebakerblues.com
 Elk Grove Brewery
916-685-2537
Elk Grove
www.elkgrovebrewery.com

October 29th
Friday
Jackie Turner Band
Mercury Blues Band
Club Fred
559-233-3733
Fresno
www.clubfredfresno.com

October 29th
Friday
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Blues Master Santa Fe Basque
559-226-7499
Fresno

October
29th & 30th
Friday & Saturday
Tommy Castro Band
www.tommycastro.com
Moe's Alley
831-479-1854
Santa Cruz
www.moesalley.com

October
29th & 30th
Friday & Saturday
A. C. Myles Band
www.acmyles.com
Sheri's Roadhouse
20023 Auberry Road
559-298-5613
Clovis

October 30th
Saturday
9:00pm
Mofo Party Band
www.mofopartyband.com
Avalon Billiard Club
1064 N. Fulton
559-495-0852
Fresno

October 30th
Saturday
9:00pm
Andrew Jay Magnuson Band
www.ajmband.com
The Club
927 Whitley Ave.
559-992-3637
Corcoran

October 30th
Saturday
Kathleen Cairns and Tattoo Blue
www.tattooblue.net
Daniel Castro
www.danielcastro.com
Constable Jack's
916-663-9385
Newcastle

October 30th
Saturday
7:00pm - 10:00pm
 John Keith
members.aol.com/jkeith1155
with Booker T. Grits
Brewbakers
559-627-2739
Visalia

October
30th & 31st
Saturday & Sunday
Bootjack
Full Circle Brewery
620 F Street
559-264-6323
Fresno

November
5th & 6th
Friday & Saturday
Wingnut Adams featuring Jeramy Norris
www.wingnutblues.com
 Round House Tavern
209-333-6060
Lodi

November 6th
Saturday
Chris Cain
www.chriscain.cc
Torch Club
916-443-2797
Sacramento

November 6th
Saturday
 Mofo Party Band
www.mofopartyband.com
 Rudy's Jazz & Blues
432 West Main St.
209-726-7839
Merced

November 7th
Sunday
8:00pm
Tommy Castro Band
www.tommycastro.com
Club Fred
559-233-3733
Fresno
www.clubfredfresno.com

******************
Every Sunday
6:00pm - 10:00pmBBQ and Blues
Jeff Watson Blues Jam
Stoney Inn
916-927-6023
Sacramento

Every Sunday
8:00pm
Sunday Blues Jam
hosted by Steve Mears & Probable Cause
Powerhouse Pub
916-985-9528 or
916-351-0816
Folsom
www.powerhousepub.com

Every Sunday
4:00pm
Blues On the Delta
Open Stage Jam
hosted by Windmill Rhythm Band
(Joe Pina, David Brown and Steve Hall)
News Thread Windmill Cove
209-948-6995
Stockton
www.windmillcove.com

Every Sunday
4:00pm - 7:00pm
Hosted by
Wingnut Adams Blues Band
Featuring Jeramy Norris
www.wingnutblues.com Moore's Riverboat
916-777-4884
Isleton
www.riverboatmarina.com

Every Sunday
4:00pm - 8:00pm
Baby Bee's Blues Jam
The Locker Room
Shaw Ave & Minniwawa
Clovis

Every Monday
9:00pm
Baby Bee's Blues Jam
Zapps Park
559-266-0334
Fresno

Every Tuesday
8:00pm - 11:00pm
Ron Thompson & the Resistors
www.resistortwister.com
Backstreet Bar & Grill
559-673-1638
Madera

Every Tuesday
9:00pm
Bennett Clark Funk Jam
Zapps Park
559-266-0334
Fresno

Every Tuesday
7:00pm - 10:00pm
Trey Tosh & the Blues Cats
Porky's Rib House
559-221-5444
Fresno

Every Wednesday
7:00pm - 10:00pm
A.C. Myles, Chris Millar, and Danny Camarena
Crossroads
559-222-2233
Shields and Cedar
Fresno