[Dixielandjazz] RE: "police" & rules - was Watch Your Back - was haiku

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:16:16 PDT 2004

Yo, all,

I sent a funny response to Steve's amusing post about how Ringwald, Wiggins,
Romans and I reside in that part of the country where an eight syllable
Haiku second line is considered illegal.

In return for this lovely bit of commentary I get a slab of words about
breaking rules in jazz which was an attempt to show that I'm obviously
overly rigid. As if the object of rules is to break them. As if Haiku allows
for freedom of expression outside the parameters.

Well, all I have to say is "Ptooey, phhhthh, bleacchhhh, and doo doo!"

Comparing Haiku to jazz is like comparing mathmatics to guessing. With math
it's either right or wrong. With guessing if you're close it's better than
if you're not close.

So there, smart guy!

Bill "Let's see you weasel your way out of that one" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com