[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 22, Issue 32

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Fri Oct 22 17:02:40 PDT 2004

From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard at hotmail.com>
Steve B. wrote re. "Butt Love":

>Heck no. Not only that but in some areas, like where Romans, Ringwald,
>Wiggins and Gunter reside, it is prevalent. I think that's where the
>expression "Watch your back" originated.

Now . . . being one of the "police" mentioned by Steve I can only reply:

Hey - while I don't actually enforce rules I don't make 'em either.

The rules for Haiku are rigid and any violation destroys the simplicity,
beauty and balance of the art form. Following the rules exactly to achieve a
free and flowing slab of prose is part of the deal.

To add but a single syllable where it is not allowed is the first step down
a slippery slope to the ultimate ruination of all that is beautiful in the
world.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Taking a stand for purity" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

Dear Silly Billy,

Unless you're one of the "police" from The Village People, I don't think you
read Steve's words very closely. ;-)

At any rate, we're just having fun using Haiku as a framework for fun.  A
real purist knows that Haiku is a contemplative poetry focusing on nature,
color, season, contrasts and surprises. Usually it has 3 lines and 17
syllables distributed in 5, 7 and 5, but not always. More important, it
captures a moment, sensation, impression or drama of a specific fact of
nature. This requires perception, meditation, and inspiration (like so many
things do.)

Bill, you've got a real Haiku started with your thoughts about a "first step
down a slippery slope to the ultimate ruination of all that is beautiful in
the world."

Love and hugs,
Nancy