[Dixielandjazz] Reeds

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 12:49:04 PDT 2004

<robert.smith at mitransport.no> wrote

> I play trombone in a Symphonic Wind Band, and I see the problems the woodwind
> players have, both choosing and using their reeds.
> A thought struck me some time ago, and this was:
> Aluminium has a low Young's Modulus, and might possibly work as a permanent
> reed. I've borrowed a bambus reed and intend to make a replica in aluminium. I
> don't think there is any health hazard with putting this metal in the mouth.
>
> Does anyone know if this has ever been tried, or, for that matter, if any
> other materials have been tried?

Yes, plastic reeds have been tried.

Regarding aluminum, I would not use an aluminum reed even if it played
better than cane. Reason? There is a growing school of medical thought that
repeated exposure to Aluminum may be a cancer causing factor.

Whether true or not, I would not take the chance at the moment. Nor does my
family use aluminum cooking pots anymore.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone