[Dixielandjazz] The Cat is out of the Bag

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 18 13:52:12 PDT 2004

Randy Fendrick at jfendrick at bak.rr.com wrote: (polite snip)

> Now that I think about it, the same concept works for many of OKOM
> bands that play cruises, they get a discount to go on the cruise and
> play music.  A discount is not the same as being paid for your
> contribution to the profits that the cruise company makes.  Again they
> don't understand the concept.  Gene Bolen, who many of you know, used
> to call these OKOM bands "Tee Shirt" bands.  They would print up their
> tee shirts, play for free or for a reduced fee and sell their tee
> shirts to crack their nut.  HMMMMM!
> I was trained to be a professional and while the market has shrunk and
> the fees have not kept up with inflation, I still refuse to compromise
> my values in that we charge for what we do.

Yep, I'm with you Randy. The worth of anything is what people will pay for
it. Most professional musicians have sacrificed greatly to be what they are.
They should be adequately paid for what they create. Shame on those of us
who sell our services cheaply, some to the point of giving it away.

There is no need to do so. If the Captain and Crew of a cruise ship get paid
in addition to room and board, why not the band?

How stupid can we be?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone