[Dixielandjazz] Re: Beethoven jazz tune

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 15 21:11:53 PDT 2004

Further to the thread started by my friend Luis, no one has yet mentioned
the John Kirby Orch and "Beethoven Riffs On" (15 Jan 1941) with Charlie
Shavers, Buster Bailey, Russell Procope, Billy Kyle, John Kirby and O'Neil
Spencer.
Jut one in a series which the Kirby group worked out in 1939-1941.
Others by the Kirby band include:
"Fantasy Impromptu" (Chopin).
"Nocturne" (Griselle)
"Serenade" (Schubert).
"Humoresque" (Dvorak).
"Sextette" ('Lucia di Lammermoor' - Donizetti)
"Frasquita Serenade" (Lehar).
"Bounce of the Sugar Plum Fairy" (Tchaikovsky.
"Arabian Nightmare" (Rimsky-Korsakov)
"Valse" (Chopin).
"Hayden Gets Hep".
"Pilgrim's Chorus" ('Tannhauser' - Wagner).
"Anitra's Dance" ('Peer Gynt' - Greig).
"Elegie" (Massenet).
"Sextette" ('Lucia di Lammermoor' - Donizetti).
Then there are the great, but rare, 1941 stride piano solos by Donald
Lambert:
"Pilgrim's Chorus" ('Tannhauser' - Wagner).
"Anitra's Dance" ('Peer Gynt' - Greig).
"Elegie" (Massenet).
"Sextette" ('Lucia di Lammermoor' - Donizetti).
Our clt player and DJMLer Jack Wiard has already introduced the following
into the band on a regular basis (and is currently working on others):
"Tchaikovsky's Lament (Swan Lake)".
"Messin' With Mozart".
"The Anvil Chorus".
Very kind regards,