[Dixielandjazz] Copyright infringement

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Oct 12 12:19:10 PDT 2004

Copyright protection is effective only if the copyright holder is prepared
to spend shedloads of money in defence of his rights.

Among other things, I sell CDs containing the sheet music (in .pdf format)
of more than 100 of my transcriptions and arrangements. Recently I
discovered that some unprincipled SOB masquerading under a pseudonym had
published the whole lot on the web, when I tackled him about it he simply
gave me the raised finger. Each piece of music is clearly marked with my
name against the copyright symbol, nevertheless there seems to be absolutely
nothing I can do to stop this activity. The culprit must know that I am
unwilling to spend huge amounts of money chasing him through the legal
system in the hope of obtaining a miniscule return.

Copyright? Phooey!!

John Farrell