[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 10:13:45 PDT 2004

Listmates:

FYI

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

4th Annual Jazz Foundation of America Benefit Concert
for the Jazz Musicians' Emergency Fund
Hosted by: Bill Cosby with Quincy Jones & Gil Noble
Apollo Theater,125th St.,8pm
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 28

Orchestra Seats on sale thru the Jazz Foundation (212) 245-3999
Balcony seats available thru TicketMaster (212) 307-7171

JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA
The need is great. Many elderly jazz musicians are living alone without the
support of family. As seniors they are unable to work the same vigorous pace
or are ill from untreated diseases having had no health insurance for many
years. Therefore successful, professional musicians are finding themselves
destitute. This includes musicians who have household names as well as the
sidemen who played with Art Blakey, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Lionel
Hampton, Thelonius Monk, Nina Simone, Frank Sinatra, Chet Baker and Dinah
Washington among others. Many are living on miniscule Social Security
payments and do not have pensions, savings or royalties to sustain them.
Because of their limited income it is very difficult to pay rent. Often
times, menacing landlords wait for them to fall behind to start the eviction
process. Many live in isolation and without advocacy; some fall victim to
poverty and become homeless.

This is where JFA comes in and provides essential support. We arrange free
medical care through our partnership with Englewood Hospital and Medical
Center's Dizzy Gillespie Memorial Fund and our pro bono network of
physicians across America. JFA assists by staving off evictions, preventing
homelessness, paying rent arrears, providing emergency living expenses,
repairing instruments, offering substance abuse counseling, advocacy work
and career counseling. JFA's Jazz in the Schools Program gives meaningful
employment to hundreds of jazz musicians in need while allowing them to pass
on their history to thousands of public school children who many times had
never heard live jazz. In the past 6 months alone, we have attended to 362
cases, more than ever before. The next goal is to build a home for elderly
jazz musicians, a Players' Residence.

For all these musicians gave us and sacrificed for the music, now is your
chance to give back at a time in life when they have no one and need us so
much.

Jazz Foundation of America
322 West 48th Street
New York, NY10036