[Dixielandjazz] Payments to copyright holders

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Oct 12 09:16:29 PDT 2004

I'm not saying this is the case but years ago when I was playing clubs, paying so called ASCAP fees were a front for Mafia payoffs and may still be.  If the money is actually going to copyright holders I guess it's OK but make sure it's actually going to a legitimate organization.  Cabaret tax was another favorite.  We got to pay ASCAP and CABARET fees when we got out of our territory but never on our own turf.  They had all sorts of things to make you pay like the Juke Box fee to make up to the box owner the loss for you playing.  It was just the cost of doing business then and I'm suspicious of these "fees" because if there is money there are people to take it away from you.