[Dixielandjazz]Finalr comment on smartscore and photoscore

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 9 03:14:17 PDT 2004

This is my last post on these programs. But I'll answer other questions
privately.

Will,

Photoscore reads both bmp and pdf files as well as supporting
scanning, whereas Smartscore reads tif files. (Of course I
believe the built-in image program in windows will convert
tif to bmp and v.v. However pdf files are a different matter
Graphic programs generally don't do that conversion due to
licensing problems with pdf.

So, one of the things I like is that photoscore can read pdf files.
 If your scanner handles either or both
you are ok, but frequently I get pdf files of other folks' music
or I find them on the web. It is nice therefor for me that photoscore
can use these files directly without my having to print them and
then rescan them in as I had to do with smartscore.

Smartscore produces a CD if you wish.
One thing that the latest SMART SCORE does that is new is that it
can produce a CD with the music playable on it. I imagine
that it produces wav. or more probably mp3 files of the
output of the midi player. That is nice of course, however in my
own case, I do my heavy lifting in Sibelius which also has this
feature, so if photoscore doesn't come up with that feature it
makes no difference to me.

Craig