[Dixielandjazz] Re: Who Are They?

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Wed Oct 6 02:22:49 PDT 2004

Clark Terry who was born in 1920, and who lived in St Louis at the time (1936) names Dewey Jackson "who played on the river boats" as one of his idols.

I'm not familiar with the Mississippi river, so I'm not quite sure what is meant by "ferryboat" in Wilbur Hobson's book. Does this mean a local boat crossing the river at Greenville, or does it mean one of the paddle steamers plying between New Orleans and St Louis? Dewey Jackson played regularly on the latter, so just might be the trumpet player in the photo facing page 36 in Hobson's book "American Jazz Music". Does anyone have a picture of Dewey Jackson that can be compared? He had his own group "Peacock Orchestra" and also played with Charlie Creath.

Cheers

Bob Smith