[Dixielandjazz] Jazz at Lincoln Center

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 16:11:32 PDT 2004

To get an idea of the scope of the Jazz At Lincoln Center programs, take a
look at their website. <http://www.jalc.org>

Lots of things going on. Even a course, Jazz 101, which covers a lot of
history during the next several months.

Also check out the Music schedules. Tito and Luis will be happy to see quite
a bit of Brazilian and Latin Jazz, both music and courses, starting with JRM
and the Spanish tinge.

Opening week is Oct 21 through November 7.

For USA & Canadian list mates, there is a special PBS TV and/or Radio
Premier broadcast Live From Lincoln Center on October 18. Probably at 8 PM,
but check your local, listing.

Not as much OKOM as we might like, but then, this is the beginning and I
suspect they are going for large audiences first with a "something for
everyone" approach, including jazz dance, poetry and a salute to Paul
Whiteman. Pianist Bill Charlap's trio also give a salute to 6 composers of
the American songbook. Gershwin, Kern, Berlin, et al. To my ears, Charlap is
a very fine, swinging pianist.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone