[Dixielandjazz] Squirrel Nut Zippers

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Oct 1 06:15:03 PDT 2004

At 05:51 PM 9/30/2004 -0700, glen page wrote:
>In all the talk about the SNZ I am amazed that there has not been
>recognition of Duke Heitger's presence on their early recordings.
>
>The first time I heard a recording of thr Zippers I immediately heard a
>trumpet that said something to me, never mind the rest of the group which
>really did not turn my crank. At that time I did not know it was Heitger
>playing but recognised a hot MYKOM  musician. Subsequent hearings of Duke
>have confirmed my original evaluation of his talent.

IIRC Heitger was only on the 2nd CD. He wasn't with SNZ for any length of time.

As for the breakup, one would need to find out what kind of music Mathus
and Whelan are playing with their respective bands before judging their
appropriateness for an OKOM-oriented festival. If the 4th CD ("Perennial
Favorites" was the 3rd) is any indication, forget it.

But if one of 'em is playing the "PF" style music, it deserves
consideration, because IMO "PF" was just the kind of creative effort
Barbone and Wiggs are always talking about.

--Sheik