[Dixielandjazz] Salute to Louis

James Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Nov 28 09:16:25 PST 2004

I wasn't aware that Teddy Buckner had done a recording of Armstrong tunes,
but after reading about it on DJML, I got the Salute to Louis CD from iTunes
& have it playing this very moment.  I believe that it is the same band that
was playing with Teddy in the early '60's, and wonder if it was the
recording they were working on when I left the States for Spain in 1966?

Caughy Roberts (pronounced "Couch") was the clarinestist/sop sax then.  He
sent me an open reel tape of the Sidny Bechet song "Si Tu Vois Ma Mere"
after I arrived in Madrid.  It was one of my favourites that they played,
and he said it was for a new recording.  It never actually seemed to make it
onto a published record.  We have taken to playing this song from time to
time.  It's a lovely tune.  Lots of room for improvisation.

Jim