[Dixielandjazz] Ernie Carson

Dave Hanson jazzdude at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 27 15:02:17 PST 2004

Hello all !

Someone asked about the latest concerning Ernie Carson, cornetist. I had the pleasure of spending
Thanksgiving with the Hal Johnson family.  Hal ( tuba) and Ernie go back to the Turk Murphy days and has know Ernie before Ernie was old enough to be allowed in the clubs where live bands carried on.

Hal told me that Ernie no longer plays the cornet as he has lost interest, but still plays the piano. He lives in Portland in a two room apartment and performs in a local bar where he is paid $35.00 plus a meal and all the beer he can drink. I was also told that Ernie has a propensity to sue people and when Hal was last in Portland, Ernie had five lawsuits in progress.

I worked with Ernie for many years in the Atlanta area and on several tours with various leaders and I always enjoyed his "driving" horn. It's sad to learn that he no longer plays, but frankly I'm surprised he is still living, considering his bad habits.

Happy Holidays

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta