[Dixielandjazz] What's on your CD player RIGHT NOW

ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 14:46:01 PST 2004

I have The Summit Ridge Jazz Band on right now, with one of the finest
arrangements of Orange Blossom Special I have ever heard, and I have heard a
lot of
versions, with the solo played on the Trombone, This is Bob Craven's Hot band

out of the Denver Colorado area USA.  I have heard a lot of Dixieland Bands
but can't remember hearing one any better than these guys.  Bob Craven, Phil
Urso, Al Herman,Neil Bridge, Derryl Goes, Bob Meyers and Ed Stephen

Very interesting!  I knew of Phil Urso when he was just coming out (late "40s
 early 50s ?) and he was mostly influenced by Zoot SIims et al ......I am
somewhat surprised to learn he is playing in a dixie band .albeit an apparently
very good one! Al Herman comes to a great straight - ahead every Monday night
jam session in SCOTTSDALE Az    on occasion with his look-a-like tenor sax
playing brother ,who lives in Az.  I am not surprised one bit that Phil plays
EVERYTHING ! He is a solid jazz artist! (and quite an academic as well.....math
and/or physics I think)   al   singer