[Dixielandjazz] Changed tempos for symphonic standards

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 13:37:12 PST 2004

Hi listmates,

Speaking of contemporary orchestral conductors, I have noticed that recent
recordings of the standard symphonic repertoire seem to be taking extreme
liberties with tempos (tempi?).

I heard a rendition of the Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto that screwed up
virtually every phrase. The molto vivace passages were lento and vice versa.
Drove me bats.

I hear it more and more.  The claim that slowing the tempo down allows the
intricacies of the rhymic patterns to emerge is, to me, simple doo doo and
represents arrogance on the part of the conductor or the soloist.

I heard the Moldau opening phrases (representing trickles of water from
melting snow as they cascade down the mountainside to gather into a mighty
river) being played so slooowwwwlyy that I thought it was molasses oozing
down the mountain. Utter Crap!!!

I won't listen to that stuff. Drives me bonkers.

Same is true of dixieland tunes. Sometimes I hear wildly altered tempos for
standards from some band trying to get a new expression out of it and it
really jangles my sensibilities.

Other that that all is well with the world and I'm a happy human being.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "If it's supposed to be fast play the goddam thing fast!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - and vice versa