[Dixielandjazz] Ranking the Music

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sat Nov 27 06:12:34 PST 2004

Luis wrote:

> I think is interesting to show the audiences how one tune can be played in
> different ways.
> I had last Sunday one hour (10 versions) of GRAY TURNING BLUE OVER YOU

I see you played 10 versions of (I assume you meant) BLUE TURNING GRAY(GREY) OVER YOU. We usually pack in 10-12 tunes in our weekly one-hour programme so I assume you played all the recordings completely (as we do).
We have never dared devoting the whole programme to one tune or artist, but we do often compare two recordings. When we have a series, like 25 different versions of HIGH SOCIETY, we play one a week every other week at the same spot on the programme, usually the next-to-last or last tune on the programme.
I was wondering if you have had any audience reaction to your bold experiment?

Cheers

Bob Smith