[Dixielandjazz] jazz standards

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Thu Nov 25 20:10:43 PST 2004

Welcome to the list, Jim.

I'll let more knowledgable members address your first question, and I'll
take the easy one.

You're close - OKOM = Our Kind Of Music. We use it to avoid the heated
discussions that ensue when we try to agree on what to call the kind of
music we all enjoy: Dixieland, trad, hot, New Orleans, revival, swing,
classic, et al, are all contenders. All have their proponents and their
opponents, most of whom feel very strongly about it, and say so in no
uncertain terms. So we avoid the whole issue and use OKOM. (Occasionally,
you'll also see YKOM (Your...) or MKOM (My...).)

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://timesunion.com/communities/jazz