[Dixielandjazz] Re: 3 tunes named "How Long Has This Been Going On?"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 24 21:44:14 PST 2004

Dear  Craig,
The missing composers you seek for the 1928 song "How Long Has This Been
Going On" are Benny Davis - Pete Wendling.

>From my own record collection (and files) I can verify the dispersal of both
the 1927 and 1928 songs as follows:

*1927  George & Ira Gershwin with PG Wodehouse.
(Composed for the Broadway musical 'Rosalie'. A discard from the earlier
1927 "Funny Face'.)
Benny Goodman Orch. 13 Nov 1941
Lee Wiley. 15 Nov 1939
Condon with Lee Wiley. 1945
Lena Horne. 1945
Ella Fitzgerald. 1950
Lots more from then on.

*1928  Benny Davis - Pete Wendling
(This one seems to have been a hit in England at the time.)
Fred Elizalde's Anglo American Band  April 1928.
Harry Hudson's Melody Men.  1928
Jack Hylton Orch 1928
Piccadilly Players 1928
Okeh Melodians (Sam Lanin) with Sylvester Ahola.
Comedy Dance Orch. (Ronnie Munro) 1928
Syd Royal's Lyricals 1928

*1938  Allie Wrubel and Herb Magidson.
(Listed in Kinkle as 1939. DJMLer Warren Vache Snr has good biogs of both
men in his very informative book 'The Unsung Songwriters'. Warren also cites
1939 for their "How Long Has This Been Going On".)
Unfortunately, I can't find any recordings of it.

I have been unable to verify which version of "How Long Has This Been Going
On" was recorded by Larry Clinton & His Orch in Sept 1939.
Very kind regards,
Bill.