[Dixielandjazz] (At least) 3 Different tunes named "How Long Has This Been Going On?"

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 24 20:15:13 PST 2004

In the process of trying to answer Don Ingles' request I discovered
2 songs in the Anderson Fake "Book" with the title of
"How Long Has This Been Going On"
The one he asked for written in 1927 by Geo. and ("his lovely wife") Ira.
and a second written in 1938 by Allie Wrubel and Herb Magidson.
However, in search redhotjazz.com I found a third with definitely different
melody and chords from the other 2. It was recorded by Fred Elizalde's
Anglo American Band on HMV in 1928. Elsewhere (on a site filled with
(downloadable) Real Audio treasures of early 78 rpm recordings
http://bixography.com
I found that it was also recorded by the OKEH Melodians (with Sylvester Ahola on trumpet I believe)
and the Harry Hudson band. However NONE of these sites listed the composer(s) of this
3rd song.

Can anyone tell me who wrote that one and when?
A quick link to one version is:
http://redhotjazz.com/angloamerican.html  for the Elizalde page on
which it appears, or the real audio link to play it directly of:
http://redhotjazz.com/Songs/elizalde/howlong.ram

I'd really like to get the info on this as I plan to do a lead sheet.

Regards,
Craig Johnson